This is exactly the same version of Oregon Trail I had on my home computer when I was in elementary school! I′m SO glad I found it. I′m also using Windows 7 and got the sound to work by doing the following:
- Open the OTWIN32 folder. Save a copy of OREGON.INI to your desktop just to be safe.
- Open the configuration settings file OREGON.INI. It should open in Notepad.
- There is an arrow symbol at the bottom of the text that should not be there. Just delete it.
- Close and save the file. When you run OREGON32.EXE, it should run with full sound. :)
Happy trails, kiddos!
To make it go full screen, select the "Run at 640 X 480 screen resolution" option, which is found under the Compatibility tab. Also select "Disable visual themes" if you want to save your games. My machine is Windows 7 32 bit, and Oregon Trail 1.2 needs to be run in Windows 95 Compatibility Mode. Happy Trails!
KT said to delete the arrow in oregon.INI. however, there is not arrow there for me to delete and the sound does not work when playing the game. The music files is just below oregon.ini and oregon32.exe and play whenever I open the files in windows media player. How do i get them to play in the game as well as the character′s voices?
- Release name: The Oregon Trail for Windows 3.1/95 & Macintosh
- Year: 1995
- Platform: Windows
- Genre: Adventure, Educational, Simulation
- Theme: Managerial, Real-Time
- Publisher: MECC
- Developer: MECC
- Perspectives: 3rd-Person, Side view