I′ve been playing this game for 20 years now. It′s still my favourate game!
The newer versions have gotten too complicated. I don′t like them.
To get this 16 bit game working in Windows 10 64 bit, I had to do the following:
- install Oracle′s Virtualbox x64. (free program)
- install Windows XP as a virtualbox client. (Just follow VirtualBox′s help, very easy)
- update XP with SP3 (free from MS)
- install Civilization 2 :-) (you can install any app/game this way)
Works great in windowed, full screen or seamless mode, just like another Win 10 program.
If it′s the 16 bit version of the game, it won′t run on a 64 bit system, period (thanks Microsoft). If the civ2xp64patcher file doesn′t help, you have a 16 bit program. What you *might* want to do is see about getting the Civilization Chronicles pack that has the 32-bit versions of Civ2, MGE and ToT with it. Good luck.
Another workaround for the dreaded "Hit B to Try To Build A City, But Nuke Your Game Instead" bug is to build from the menu. I figured that one out the hard way. ;-)
I played games on Atari, then Commodore 64, then on Windows1. The first day I loaded Civ 2 was on a Friday Night. I played until I dropped on Sunday and called in sick the Monday. And kept playing when I woke up.
Now I can′t play on Win10. I′ve tried some fixes but can′t get them to work. Tried the Civ 2 Multiplayer fixes and no luck there either.
I think I′ll see if the local PC store has any old boxes...
I doubt your tablet will play this...you cuold try it in DosBox (i run most of my games in it) or if its actually a Windows Game you could load Virtual Box on your PC and install windows 95 or 98 (ISO′s are online I am sure....) Youtube should have plenty of virtual box and Dos Box videos to show how.
The 28 mb download works great in my Xp virtualbox! I had Russian and French options on install, and French was really French but Russian was just English.
I have the real cd at home and so far the only difference I can see is it doesn′t highlight the city radii. A minor point, this is great!
- Release name: 文明帝國 II, 文明II, Wenming II, II ציביליזציה, Civilization 2000, Civ 2
- Year: 1996
- Platform: Windows
- Released in: Germany
- Genre: Strategy
- Theme: 4X, Managerial, Turn-based
- Publisher: MicroProse Software, Inc.
- Developer: MicroProse Software, Inc.
- Perspectives: Isometric, Bird′s-eye view, Free-roaming camera