I got this working nicely in DOSbox.
It basically went down like this.
1. I mounted the iso directory of zoombinis in DOSbox, it gave me an error saying I needed Windows installed.
2. I then found a Windows 3.1 set of floppy disk images, I extracted them all into a single folder, mounted that folder in DOSbox in its own C directory and then successfully installed Windows3.1 within DOSbox.
3. I then remounted the Zoombinis iso image to the D directory, then I started up Windows3.1 and used the file explorer to run the Zoombinis installer. It installed itself and the quicktime runtimes.
4. After running the shortcut created within windows, another error, this time about a lack of sound drivers, after fixing that it will complain about SVGA drivers. I found this wonderful guide which addresses both of these issues.
After that you can play flawlessly with no weird compatibility issues.
Easiest way to play this game is in a Windows 98 Virtual Machine. Here′s how I did it, works flawlessly;
1. Install VMWare Player (free)
2. load this pre-made win98 Virtual Machine https://winworldpc.com/download/3DD43CC6-18DA-11E4-99E5-7054D21A8599
3. Once running win98, on VMWare toolbar click Player Removable Devices CD/DVD settings
4. under connection in cd/dvd settings, tick ′use ISO image file:′ and select zoombinis image, click ok.
5. Go to Player Removable Devices CD/DVD and click connect
6. install zoombinis
7. Right click desktop properties settings tab and set color to 256 colors
I tried so hard for hours to get this game to work. I followed your instructions to a t. when the first method failed i tried the second. everything was working until the part where i had to run the game installation. i cant get the quicktime to install form the zoombinis installer nor does downloading it separately work. no matter what i do it always says i need quicktime 2.1
All i wanted was to play this stupid game and instead i′ve merely wasted hours of my life i could have used to do something productive with my life. I hope for very unpleasant things to happen to whoever wrote this page and it′s horrible time stealing lies!!!
I followed ENT′s instructions below. However, the link was broken for 2.
I found this one instead: https://winworldpc.com/download/3dc3943c-c386-18c3-9a11-c3a4e284a2ef
Commenting to say that I was able to run the game perfectly using VMWare in Windows 7 by following the instructions posted by user "ENT" lower down. I copied the instructions down; if anyone can′t find the comment or it gets deleted, email me at jtbswartz ((AT)) yahoo ((dot)) com and I will send the instructions to you.
Cheers ENT, I′m playing Zoombinis again. HIP HIP ZOOMBINI!
Your link to the Windows XP only leads to links for Windows 10. All Microsoft links now only force you into doing Windows 10 now.
Windows 10 SUCKS at any backwards compatibility and spits out CD-Roms unless it′s the latest AAA game.
Windows 10 wants it so you do online gaming only where you can′t do anything offline in your own private sphere. If Microsoft could they would partner with Google and make you always online with no choice.
For the life of me I cannot get it to work on Windows 10. Tried everything I could but to no avail... Apparently The Learning Company version works just fine, but this older release by Broderbund does not. I wish I still had my copy of this game, damnit. I wanted to screw around and have a nostalgia trip with my friends at ungodly hours of the night but I guess I′ll have to nab a copy on amazon or something instead...
- Release name: הזומבינים המדליקים, Zoombinis Math Journey, Zoombinis: Logical Journey, L′Odyssée des Zoombinis à la découverte de la logique, El Alucinante Viaje de los Zoombinis
- Year: 1996
- Platform: Windows
- Genre: Educational, Strategy
- Theme: Math / Logic
- Publisher: Brøderbund Software, Inc.
- Developer: The Learning Company, Inc.