I played Heretic but not sure I played Heretic 2. Using win7 pro 64 bit, Intel i7. I only installed the non enhanced version, but ran the 3DFX driver from it and got it to work quite well. The only problem is running a saved game after you quit the game. It will run the saved game if I stay in the game.
However, if you have the "Entering" a level that it saves, will run, after I do that I then run my old saved game. I cannot get the enhanced version to run at all, it exits right away.
For just patches for Heretic II you need both of these below. One is the Enhancement packv1.06 which can be found on "FilePlanet for Heretic II game. The other patch was more of an Windows XP-Windows 10 "quake2.dll" fix for playing on other Windows versions other than Windows 95, which is what everyone used when the game first came out.
win2kserverfix.zip (The orginal fix for Heretic II) or the "H2 1440x900" fix for Heretic II under Windows XP (service pack2) settings for compability mode.
There are still "Heretic II" forums on "Facebook" that have been around for ages where you can post your questions.
Works great on Win10 64 bit!
Here′s some detailed instructions if you′re having trouble.
1. Download the main file and fix file to the desktop. Get the manual file too (good lore in there).
2. These are zip files. They might just unzip when you click on them. If they don′t get a unzip program like WINRar. Unzip them to the desktop.
3. In the main file, drill down and you′ll see two files, a large mdf file and a small mds file. You need to mount the small mds file. I use Daemon Tools Lite. It′s a matter of opening Daemon Tools Lite, and I choose ′Quick Mount′, point to the small mds file and click Open. That file is now mounted as a drive in My Computer.
4. Open My Computer and you′ll see the Heretic II as a drive. Right Click = Open.
5. Go into the ′setup′ folder and you′ll see the SETUP (application file). Click on that and the game will install.
6. After installation and before you play the game, install the fix. This comes from the other zip file. It′s a single file called quake2.dll. Extract the file and place it in the directory in which you installed the game on your C drive (or wherever). If you chose the default it will probably be
C:Program Files (x86)Heretic II
Windows will ask you if you wish to replace the existing file of the same name Yes
Game runs perfectly.
windows 10 does not have ME 98 Compatibility mode those are 16 bit systems not even xp compat mode which is 32 bit geez people most of these old games wIll not touch windows 10 period. run a xp computer and use compat mode for 98 but do not expect windows 10 to help you and if you have 64 bit forget it you are SOL
wtf....it doesnt even look like Heretic at all. Not to mention its third person and not first person. Why did they butcher the sequels to these? Even Hexen 2 was terribly made. Hexen 2 just looked like a Quake mod, it had the exact same gfx as Quake. So bad....I wouldn′t be caught dead playing this disgrace.
Works perfectly on Windows 8.1 64bit.
You just need to keep in mind that you also need to apply the fix for Windows to play. You can download the fix with the instalation files.
After installing Heretic 2 unpack the folder containing the fix for playing on Windows inside the instalation directory of Heretic 2. When it asks if you want to replace the current files with the new ones press yes and you are good to go.
Heretic 2 is an awesome game. Have fun.
- Year: 1998
- Platform: Windows
- Released in: France
- Genre: Action
- Theme: Fantasy, Shooter
- Publisher: ATVI France SARL
- Developer: Raven Software Corporation
- Perspective: Behind view