Ben Griffin provides context and commentary followed by the full, original text of our GTA: San Andreas review, published in the July 2005 issue of PC Gamer UK.
We're enjoying the height of summer now, but as temperatures plummet and skies darken, Rockstar promise respite from Autumnal misery: GTA 5 on PC. With improved framerates. And increased resolution. And cats! It took no time at all for resident GTA enthusiast, Andy Kelly, to go all CSI on its launch trailer (hammerhead sharks: confirmed).
In light of that, I've decided to delve almost a decade into the past and unearth PC Gamer's San Andreas review. At 94%, it's our highest-rated Grand Theft Auto ever, beating out Vice City by a whole 1%. Why? How? Well, as our reviewer Ross Atherton puts it, the game is, 'at once a giant, living playground and a smoothly contoured story.
Developer: Rockstar Games
Publisher: Rockstar Games
Release Date: 6 Jun, 2005
Genre: Open World, Action, Shooter, Adventure, Mature, RPG
- OS: Microsoft® Windows® 2000/XP
- Processor: 1Ghz Pentium III or AMD Athlon Processor
- Memory: 256MB of RAM
- Graphics: 64MB Video Card (Geforce 3 or better)
- Hard Drive: 3.6GB of free hard disk space (minimal install)
- Other Requirements: Software installations required including DirectX and Sony DADC SecuROM
- Partner Requirements: Please check the terms of service of this site before purchasing this software.
- Processor: Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP Processor
- Memory: 384MB of RAM (the more the better!)
- Graphics: 128MB (or greater) Video Card (Geforce 6 Series Recommended)
- Hard Drive: 4.7GB of free hard disk space (full install)
- Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card (Sound Blaster Auidgy 2 Recommended)