I have the CD version, and it ran with full functionality in Win 95 & 98. I lost sound & some game functions in XP. Even if you run it successfully without an emulator, the river and fishing modes will run too fast on a modern system. My preferred method is to run Win 3.1 inside DOSbox and play it there. That solves all sound and speed issues. You can also run Win 95 or 98 as a virtual machine inside Windows 7/8/Vista, or even on a Mac, at a reduced speed.
@Fred: This is actually the first edition of Amazon Trail. The second was actually an early-release version of the third.
For all those having trouble playing these games, scroll to the bottom of this page! Follow one of the links under "How to play abandonwares." You have to install a program called D-Fend Reloaded; there is a step by step guide provided by this website for where you should extract the .zip files so that you can play them. I′m on x64 Windows 7 and The Oregon Trail works excellently! :D
- Release name: Expédition Amazone
- Year: 1993
- Platform: DOS
- Released in: United States
- Genre: Adventure, Educational, Simulation
- Theme: Ecology / Nature, Fishing, Geography, History, Licensed Title, Sailing / Boating
- Publisher: MECC
- Developer: MECC
- Perspective: 1st-Person
- Dosbox support – http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=4276 – Fully supported on current version