There are two of areas where computer games traditionally excel: racing fast machines and blowing stuff up. But somehow, combining the two into a compelling entertainment experience isn't always as easy as one plus one equals two. Thankfully Black Rock Studios have concocted a winning blend of speed and mayhem with Split/Second, perhaps the best 'combat' racing game to hit the PC since 1998's Dethkarz.
Although the driving mechanics are pretty standard for an arcade racer plug in a gamepad, bury the throttle, brake as little as possible, win the satisfaction comes from employing 'Power Play' shockwaves to trigger violent roadside events that wipe out your rivals. These Power Play offensives range from massive truck bombs to scything cranes that can flick cars from the track like insects.
Developer: Black Rock Studio
Publisher: Disney Interactive
Release Date: 18 May, 2010
Genre: Racing, Action
- OS: Microsoft Windows 7 / Vista SP2 / XP SP3
- Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Pentium D processor (Windows 7 / Vista) / 2.6 GHz Intel Pentium D processor (Windows XP) or 2.0 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 or equivalent processor
- Memory: 2560 MB RAM
- Graphics: 256 MB DirectX 9.0c-compatible, 3D video card supporting Shaders 3.0 (NVIDIA GeForce 7600 or better, ATI Radeon X1600 or better)
- DirectX: Version 9.0c
- Storage: 6656 MB available space
- Sound Card: 16-bit DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
- Additional Notes: Onboard (built-in) integrated chipsets are not supported