Too ruggedly professional to die, 2008 sleeper hit Sins of a Solar Empire has returned. Titled Rebellion, this third expansion comes in a new, expandalone format, and adds just about everything except actual rebellion. Silly developers!
Sins has aged well, partly because its only competitor, Sword of the Stars II, flopped harder than a snake slipping off a diving board, but also because its appeal is still intact. As you develop your empire, swinging from planet to planet, tumbling down the tech tree, stringing together fleets and levelling up your capital ships, the game simply gives you a bit too much to think about.
It's uncanny. As a beginner, you'll have your hands (and head) full developing trade routes and continuing the electric push of your culture across the solar system, perhaps with one eye on your prize fleet, making sure it's still winning some 20-minute pitched battle.
Developer: Ironclad Games, Stardock Entertainment
Publisher: Stardock Entertainment
Release Date: 12 Jun, 2012
Genre: Strategy, RTS, Sci-fi, Action, Simulation, Adventure
- OS: Windows 10 / 8 / Windows 7 SP1
- Processor: 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 Processor or Equivalent
- Memory: 2 GB Available System Memory
- Graphics: 256 MB Video Card w/Pixel Shader 3.0 Support (Radeon X1650 / GeForce6800* or Better)
- DirectX®: 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 5 GB HD space
- Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card
- Other Requirements: Keyboard and Mouse (w/scroll wheel), Broadband Internet connection for Multiplayer
- * NVidia video chipsets must use driver version 296.10 or higher and mobile cards be set as the primary video chipset for the game.
- Processor: Intel Core i5/i7 Processor or Equivalent
- Memory: 4 GB Available System Memory
- Graphics: 1 GB Video Card w/Pixel Shader 3.0 Support (Radeon X3000 Series / GeForce 8000* Series or Better)
- Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection.